14th annual Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival serves up flavor, food and family fun
RELEASE NUMBER 13/16
WAIKIKI, HONOLULU, HAWAII – Thousands of people will gather along Kalakaua Avenue for a unique street festival that celebrates Hawaii’s love of the iconic SPAM® brand. More than 25,000 festivalgoers are expected to attend the 14th Annual Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival, presented by Outrigger Resorts, to enjoy specialty dishes prepared by some of Hawaii’s favorite local restaurants, SPAM® merchandise, island crafts and more on Saturday, April 30, from 4 – 10 p.m.
“The Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival is a wonderful celebration of a local staple that is intertwined with Hawaii’s history and culture,” said Barbara Campbell, Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival co-founder and vice president of retail leasing and development at Outrigger Enterprises Group. “Food has a way of bringing people together, and Outrigger is proud to help gather the community for such a fun event that benefits the local families and individuals who receive support from the Hawaii Foodbank.”
Those who attend the Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival can look forward to a wide selection of delicious local cuisine from 15 participating restaurants that will each serve up tasty dishes, with at least one menu item featuring a SPAM® meat product. This year’s grand-prize winning recipe from the Great American SPAM® Championship, the Gemütlichkeit (guh-MOOT-luh-kite) SPAM®wich, will be available at the Hula Grill Waikiki food tent.
The Gemütlichkeit SPAM®wich recipe, which consists of panko-crusted slices of SPAM® with bacon, sautéed and stacked on a Milwaukee pretzel bun and topped with classic, warm cabbage slaw and mustard, was cooked up by Wisconsin resident Lisa Dziadulewicz. Lisa’s creative, German-inspired recipe bested 26 other finalists nationwide, winning her a grand prize, all-expense paid trip for two to this year’s Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival.
This year’s participating restaurants and their dishes include:
- ABC Stores – SPAM® Kamakaze; Tempura SPAM® Fries
- Atlantis Seafood & Steak – SPAM® Lau Lau; SPAM® Bun
- BUHO – SPAM® Tacos, SPAM® Mexican Fried Rice; Homemade Guacamole
- Chai’s Waikiki – Ahi SPAM® Katsu with Fresh Mango Salsa and Yellow Curry Sauce; SPAM® Fritter with Fresh Pineapple
- Duke’s Waikiki – Hula Pie; Korean SPAM® Street Taco
- Eggs ‘N Things – Crispy SPAM® Chips; Local Style Grilled SPAM® and Cheese Sandwich; Combo Sandwich and Chips
- Gordon Biersch – To be announced
- Hard Rock Café – SPAM® Mac and Cheese; Apple Spobbler
- Hawaiian Crown Plantation – Pure Tropical Fruit Juices, SPAM® Fries with Variety Dips
- Hula Grill – SPAM® Fried Rice; SPAM® Loco Moco; Award-Winning Gemütlichkeit (guh-MOOT-luh-kite) SPAM®wich
- Mahaloha Burger – SPAM® Teriburger/Cheeseburger; SPAM® Burger Loco Moco; Hot Dog with SPAM®
- OnoPops – Assorted Flavors – Ice Pops
- PF Chang’s – SPAM® Lo Mein; SPAM® Lettuce Wraps
- Seafood Village – SPAM® Siu Mai, SPAM® Manapua, Mixed Plate
- Mac 24/7 – Mongolian SPAM® Poke Bowl; Coconut SPAM® Flan with Kona Coffee Salted Caramel and Candied SPAM®
In addition to the delicious cuisine, Outrigger Resorts’ popular photo booth with a wave made up of SPAM® brand cans is back, bigger and better than last year, for fun photo opportunities. SPAM® merchandise, island crafts and locally made products will be available for sale.
Participating retail vendors include:
- Aloha Wood Art by the Le Fam
- Crafts Way, LLC
- Creative Photo Frames
- Da Bag Place
- Diamond Head Taffy
- LED Novelties Hawaii, LCC
- Lolita Gabuat
- Lotus Creations
- North Shore Goodies
- Oahu Gear Company
- Pearls & Beads Corp
- Simply Wood Studios
- Sunrise Shells Hawaii
The evening will also include live entertainment on two musical stages, each featuring a line-up of top island artists.
Outrigger Hotels and Resorts Stage (in front of the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort)
4:30 p.m. Hiroshima
5:15 p.m. Waimanalo Sunset Band
6:30 p.m. Ben Vegas & Maila Gibson
7:30 p.m. Jeff Rasmussen & Robi Kahakalau
8:30 p.m. Raiatea Helm
Shops of Hawaii Stage (in front of the Royal Hawaiian Center)
4:30 p.m. The Women of Halau Ka Waikahe Lani Malie & The Men of Kahulaliwai
5:30 p.m. Ukulele Superkids – Honaka Katayama & Azita Ganjali
6:30 p.m. Germaine’s Luau
7:30 p.m. Lehua Kalima and Shawn Pimental
8:30 p.m. Emke
Admission to the event is free and all proceeds generated benefit the Hawaii Foodbank and other local charities, including the Waikiki Community Center and Visitor Aloha Society.
As part of the Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival, Outrigger Resorts and OHANA Hotels in Waikiki will be offering guests checking in for the weekend a free one-category upgrade, based on availability, with the donation of a can of SPAM® product, which is then donated to the Hawaii Foodbank. For reservations, visit www.outrigger.com, or call 1-800-688-7444 and ask for the best available rate. This offer is subject to change and availability. Some restrictions apply.
There are several ways to stay on top of the latest details of this year’s Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival: visit SPAMjamhawaii.com or join the Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival social community on Twitter: @SPAMjam or Instagram: @waikikiSPAMjam.