Outrigger Hotels and Resorts Signs On as Official Sponsor of Mele Mei
Release Number: 51/14
WAIKIKI, HONOLULU, HAWAII– Outrigger Hotels and Resorts will take the stage as a sponsor for this year’s 4th Annual Mele Mei Celebration, a month-long festival highlighting the music, language and culture of Hawaii. As part of the celebration, the company is cued up to host the “Music for the Generations Concert” at the Waikiki Beach Walk Plaza Stage on Friday, May 23, 2014.
“As a strong proponent of sharing Hawaii’s unique music and culture, the opportunity to sponsor this year’s Mele Mei Celebration was music to our ears,” said Bitsy Kelley, vice president, corporate communications of Outrigger Enterprises Group. “We are delighted to help bring to the stage some of Hawaii’s most talented musical artists for kama‘aina and visitors to enjoy.”
Featuring everything from traditional Hawaiian music to island reggae, Mele Mei will treat music lovers to a medley of musical events held at various hotels, venues, on the beach and statewide, May 1-29, culminating on May 24 with the prestigious Na Hoku Hanohano Awards at the Hawaii Convention Center.
In anticipation of the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards Ceremony, the “Music for the Generations Concert” by Outrigger Hotels and Resorts will take place on Friday, May 23, 2014, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Waikiki Beach Walk Plaza Stage. The free concert will feature renowned Hawaiian entertainers Robi Kahakalau and Jeff Rasmussen, Mailani Makainai, Na Hoa and Sean Naauao. Many of the evening’s talented musicians are nominated for 2014 Na Hoku Hanohano Awards including Robi Kahakalau for Contemporary Album of the Year and Female Vocalist of the Year, Mailani Makainai for Christmas Album of the Year, Female Vocalist of the Year, and Island Music Album of the Year, and Sean Naauao for Favorite Entertainer of the Year and Hawaiian Music Album of the Year.
Music — an Outrigger Tradition
The special concert is in keeping with the company’s long-standing support of local entertainers by giving them the opportunity to share their talents through sponsored events and regular concerts, including:
- Kani Ka Pila Grille — a lively open-air restaurant with a lineup of renowned local musicians who perform nightly from 6 to 9 p.m. including Cyril Pahinui, Sean Naauao, Weldon Kekauoha, Kaukahi and Manoa DNA. Up-and-coming local artists are also invited to enter the restaurant’s annual talent search in hopes of securing the grand prize: a one-month paid contract to perform at Kani Ka Pila Grille.
- Na Mele No Na Pua Sunday Showcase — a free monthly concert series that celebrates Hawaii’s most incredible musical talents with live musical performances every third Sunday of the month from 5 to 6 p.m. at Waikiki Beach Walk.
- Ke Kani O Ke Kai – an annual summer concert series held at the Waikiki Aquarium offering live performances by some of Hawaii’s top performers. Outrigger is proud to be a longtime sponsor of both the Waikiki Aquarium and the Ke Kani O Ke Kai series.
- Ku Ha‘aheo — featuring adult and keiki hula, uniquely blending contemporary and traditional island traditions, cultural beliefs, classic hapa haole tunes and historical moments, all told through beautiful song and dance. Free performances are held each Tuesday from 4:30 to 6 p.m. at the Waikiki Beach Walk plaza stage.
- Duke’s Waikiki — one of the most popular hot spots on Waikiki Beach. Duke’s Waikiki has a long history of supporting local music through its free Concerts on the Beach from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday through Sunday and live entertainment nightly from 9:30 p.m. until midnight.
For those attending the Music for the Generations Concert, convenient valet parking for up to four hours is available for $6.00 at Embassy Suites®-Waikiki Beach Walk® (201 Beachwalk) and the Wyndham Vacation Ownership-Waikiki Beach Walk (227 Lewers Street), with any same-day purchase and validation from any Waikiki Beach Walk establishment. For more information, contact the Waikiki Beach Walk management office at (808) 931-3591 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Mele Mei festival will culminate with the 36th Annual Na Hoku Hanohano Awards Ceremony, taking place Saturday, May 24, 2014, at the Hawaii Convention Center. For more information on Mele Mei or for a full lineup of events, visit www.melemei.com.