Outrigger Resorts presents 13th Annual Waikiki SPAM® Jam
RELEASE NUMBER 34/15
WAIKIKI, HONOLULU, HAWAII – Over the past 12 years, thousands of people have gathered annually in Waikiki in celebration of a famous canned meat and favorite Hawaii staple – SPAM®. This year will be no different with 25,000 festivalgoers expected to attend the 13th Annual Waikiki SPAM® Jam, presented by Outrigger Resorts, on Saturday, May 2, from 4 to 10 p.m.
Waikiki’s main thoroughfare, Kalakaua Avenue, will be filled with SPAM® enthusiasts enjoying the many delicious SPAM® dishes prepared by some of Hawaii’s favorite local restaurants. Island arts and crafts and SPAM® merchandise will be on sale, perfect souvenirs of a fun event; and the popular SPAM® Wave by Outrigger Resorts will be back for photo opportunities. Rounding out the evening will be two musical stages featuring a line-up of island artists. Admission to the event is free and all proceeds generated benefit the Hawaii Foodbank.
“Outrigger is proud to support the Waikiki SPAM® Jam and help to gather our community together to celebrate a local staple that many people enjoy here in the islands,” said Bitsy Kelley, Waikiki SPAM® Jam co-founder and vice president of corporate communications for Outrigger Enterprises Group. “We at Outrigger are dedicated to taking care of the communities in which we live and work, which is why we are exceptionally pleased that the Waikiki SPAM® Jam benefits families who receive support from the Hawaii Foodbank.”
Those who attend the event can look forward to sampling a wide selection of delicious local dishes from participating restaurants and food trucks, including the grand-prize winning recipe in the Great American SPAM® Championship, Reuben SPAM® Rollups, that will be available at the Hula Grill Waikiki food tent.
The delicious appetizer combines diced SPAM® Classic, Thousand Island dressing, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese, and was cooked up by Montana resident Beverly Zehnter. It’s no wonder Beverly knows her way around a can of SPAM® — Hawaii is where she originally met her husband James more than 25 years ago. They’ve never been back…until now on their grand prize, all-expense paid trip for two to this year’s Waikiki SPAM® Jam.
Participating restaurants and their dishes include:
- ABC Stores – TBD
- Atlantis Seafood & Steak – SPAM® Laulau, BBQ Ribs, BBQ Chicken
- Chai’s Waikiki – SPAM® and Fresh Ahi Katsu with Wasabi Curry and Fresh Mango Salsa, Spicy Garlic North Shore Shrimp and Smoked Spam, Steamed Rice, Big Island Baby Greens and Tangerine Vinaigrette
- Duke’s Waikiki – Hula Pie
- Egg’s ‘N Things – SPAM® Fries, SPAM® Cheesecake, SPAM® Bread Pudding
- Gordon Biersch – Kamaaina SPAM® “Street Taco,” Artisan SPAM® and Salami Pizza, Chinatown SPAM® Won Ton, Mango BBQ SPAM® Slider, SPAM® Hash Cake Slider, Asian Hoisin SPAM® Bao Bun Slider, GB SPAM® Slider Sampler, Garlic Fries
- Hard Rock Café – Spamac and Cheese Balls, SPAM® Cupcakes
- Hawaiian Crown Plantation – TBD
- Hula Grill – SPAM® Reuben Roll Ups, SPAM® Fried Rice, SPAM® Loco Moco, SPAM® Fried Rice Loco Moco, SPAM® Katsu on a Stick
- Jimmy Buffet’s at the Beachcomber – SPAM® Nachos, Aged Cheddar and SPAM® Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- MAC 24/7 – TBD
- Mahaloha Burger – Loco Moco Burger, Mahaloha Burger, Teriyaki Burger, Chili Burger
- OnoPops – Handmade Ice Pops
- PF Chang’s – SPAM® Lo Mein, SPAM® Lettuce Wraps
- Seafood Village – SPAM® Shumai, SPAM® Manapua, Mixed Plate
- Uncle’s Handcrafted Ice Cream Sandwiches – Ice Cream Sandwiches
In addition to the many cuisine options put together by some of Hawaii’s top chefs and restaurants, the following musical acts will perform on the Outrigger Resorts and Shops of Hawaii stages:
During the event, festivalgoers will find volunteers collecting donations for the Hawaii Foodbank at different booths. The Hawaii Foodbank is the only nonprofit in the state of Hawaii that collects, warehouses and distributes mass quantities of both perishable and non-perishable food to 250 member agencies as well as food banks on Kauai, Maui and Hawaii Island.
For more information about the Waikiki SPAM® Jam, please visit www.spamjamhawaii.com.