TOMA: Free Pop-Up Exhibit at Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger Celebrates Wahine Artists During International Women’s Month
RELEASE NUMBER 11|22
The works of wahine artists – Top: Christie Shinn, Kat Wadsworth and Lauren Roth | Bottom: Barby Casagrande and Summer Colmus. Click HERE for imagery of art/artists.
HONOLULU – Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger, in partnership with Hawaiian Aroma Caffe, will present its fifth edition of TOMA (Terrace of Modern Art) on Saturday, March 26, from 6 – 10 p.m. Held during International Women’s Month, TOMA Wahine Edition will showcase some of Hawai‘i’s best female artists in an outdoor gallery environment with live music, wahine-run food and drink vendors, pop-up shops and more.
During the quarterly TOMA event, the poolside terrace near Hawaiian Aroma Caffe at the Waikiki Beachcomber is transformed into an exhibit showcasing Hawai‘i’s modern-day artists. The event is free and TOMA guests enjoy live music and poolside drinks and bites while exploring and supporting the work of local artists.
“Hawai‘i’s art scene contributes so much to the vibrancy of life in the islands. We’re honored to provide a space to showcase and honor our wahine artists during International Women’s Month in this next installment of TOMA,” said Jonathan Rotmensch, Hawaiian Aroma Caffe owner and TOMA founder.
The fifth edition of TOMA celebrating International Women’s Month will highlight six phenomenal Hawai‘i-based wahine artists. In addition, lounge music will be provided by ‘ukulele prodigy Taimane Gardner and DJ Jem. TOMA will also feature food and drink by wahine-run businesses Luna Events Hawaii & Drink Gazoz. There will also be lei-making by Gina Ballestros, a hair extension station by JXN&CO., a bikini pop-up shop by Pohakupuna Beach Club and a pop-up Aloha Collection booth. The first 100 people to attend the event will receive a tote bag designed by local female artist Shar Tuiasoa aka Punky Aloha depicting the six female featured artists. All the bags are filled with goodies from TOMA event sponsors and participating artists.
As our motto continues to be: “celebrating with a good cause,” we chose WSO (Women Speaking Out) as our partner. WSO is a non-profit organization founded by former Miss Hawai‘i Juliet Lighter whose mission is to give a voice to the youth of Hawai‘i by empowering them with education, innovative action and providing opportunities to speak out and take a stand against dating violence.
TOMA Wahine Edition will spotlight the following female artists:
- LAUREN ROTH, artist and designer, specializes in capturing the natural beauty of Hawai‘i through her paintings, with a colorful and whimsical vibe. Her store, Lauren Roth Art, is located in Kailua.
- CHRISTIE CHINN’S art expresses her passion for surf, travel and design. Her works capture the everyday beauty of island life with her signature brushwork and bright palette.
- BARBY CASAGRANDE is Hawaiian Aroma Caffe’s creative director and a phenomenal artist in her own right. Her art is inspired by the culture and beauty of the Hawaiian Islands and combines fine and abstract art. She also brings her artistic skills to her day-to-day job at Hawaiian Aroma Caffe by creating intricate latte art drawings.
- KATE WADSWORTH was raised in Kailua, Hawai‘i where she currently lives and works as an illustrator, graphic designer and muralist. She loves to experiment with bold colors, exaggerated shapes and purposeful lines tell stories with subtle but deliberate symbolism.
- SUMMER COLMUS is a Honolulu-based artist who incorporates the intricacy of Polynesian designs into her paintings. Her work exudes the warm reds and yellows that are reminiscent of island flowers and sunsets, to the deep blues of the ocean.
- KAT REEDER is a Peruvian-American artist based in Honolulu. Her bold illustration style of island life has earned her notable collaborations and projects ranging from the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing to designing the poster for Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film Licorice Pizza.
TOMA was brought to life by Hawaiian Aroma Caffe and Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger to provide a quarterly platform for local talent to showcase their artwork in an exhibition-style environment and for visitors and local art-lovers alike to find new pieces of work inspired by Hawaiian culture. The TOMA experience highlights a wide array of unique art, ranging from paintings and photography to printmaking, illustrations and more.
WHAT: TOMA Wahine Edition
WHERE: Poolside at Hawaiian Aroma Caffe at the Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger
WHEN: Saturday, March 26, from 6 – 10 p.m.
Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger is Waikiki’s only craft hotel that is steps to the beach and adjacent to International Market Place. Kama‘aina rates start as low as $179 per night. Use the promo code LOCAL at outrigger.com to access the best available rates.
Click HERE for a PDF of this release.
# # #