Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger Unveils Artist Collaboration
RELEASE NUMBER 08|19
“The Beachcomber Originals” encompass a dozen tastemakers who are integral to the interior design and modern Waikiki vibe at Outrigger’s first lifestyle hotel [High resolution images of The Beachcomber Originals and their craft can be found HERE – above photos include Zak Noyle and art by Margo Ray and Vince Lim]
HONOLULU – As part its $35 million complete modernization, Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger today unveiled “The Beachcomber Originals” – an alliance of extraordinary artisans whose contributions to the hotel’s look, sound and taste create a one-of-a-kind journey of the senses for its visitors.
The original dozen collaborators include celebrated craft brewers, a Hawaiian fiber artist and internationally acclaimed slack-key guitarist. With its central location, steps to Waikiki Beach – partnering with iconic beachcombers from surfers, photographers and models to printmakers and painters was a natural fit.
“Our Beachcomber Originals are social-savvy tastemakers who, through this exclusive partnership with Outrigger, manifest their shared love of Waikiki Beach and Hawaiian culture via their artwork and aloha,” said Ike Cockett, general manager of Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger. “Guests of Waikiki Beachcomber can enjoy the original aesthetic and culinary creations of this local artist network, as well as have opportunities to interact with them through our ‘B Original’ crafted series.”
Zak Noyle, arguably the world’s most respected and celebrated extreme-surf photographer, is the Beachcomber Original most prominently featured in the hotel; his dramatic underwater imagery welcomes guests up the 75-foot escalator tunnel and fills the wall behind the headboard of every guest room. Waikiki Beachcomber’s exclusive partnership with Zak includes original programming such as a quarterly talk-story series and aqua-photography sessions with the artist himself.
“It has been an honor to work on this project with a team of interior designers and architects who sincerely respect the destination and bring a modern twist to the heart of Waikiki – the birthplace of modern surfing,” said Zak Noyle. “I can’t think of a better place or way to showcase and share my water photography than at the all-new Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger,” added Noyle.
Meet The Beachcomber Originals:
- Abigail Romanchak – A celebrated printmaker, Abigail aims to empower and assert a Hawaiian sense of identity and culture through her work. Her prints add texture and grace to each guest room at Waikiki Beachcomber.
- Emma Wo – Business owner, role model and content creator known as “the aloha babe;” Emma’s voice has become influential as she spends time for both work and play at the Waikiki Beachcomber.
- Erin Ibarra – Hawaii’s “chalkboard queen,” Erin is a self-taught artist, muralist and creator of “Elevation” – the hand-drawn Floors of Flora murals that are found by the elevator bank on each floor at the Waikiki Beachcomber.
- Garrett Marrero – Bringing cheers and beers to Waikiki Beachcomber, Garrett is the founder and CEO of Maui Brewing Co, the hotel’s anchor restaurant, and was recently honored as the National Small Business Person of the Year and as a semi-finalist in E&Y’s Entrepreneur of the Year.
- Ha‘a Keaulana – Westside Oahu surfer, print artist, surftographer, creator and stellar athlete; the Waikiki Beachcomber has become one of her go-to spots for a weekend getaway ideally situated next to the sea.
- Jonathan Rotmensch – Owner of Hawaii’s most Instagrammed coffee shop, Hawaiian Aroma Caffe at the Waikiki Beachcomber, Jonathan is the brain and lead on the Beachcomber’s TOMA (Terrace of Modern Art) event series and stylish poolside parties.
- Makana – An internationally acclaimed guitarist, singer, composer and activist, Makana created “The New Sound of Waikiki” specifically for Waikiki Beachcomber – fresh beats that will be heard throughout the hotel.
- Margo Ray – Print, collage and installation artist; her colorful work is featured alongside an entire interior wall at the hotel’s Maui Brewing Co. This 64-foot mural features one of Hawaii’s most beloved hula dancers, Beverly Noa.
- Marques Hanalei Marzan – An expert fiber artist from Kaneohe and advocate for indigenous arts and cultural practitioners, his intricate fiber (rope) art is found prominently hanging inside of Maui Brewing Co.
- Matt Bauer – Photographer, creative director, surfer and entrepreneur, Matt played an integral role in executing #WaikikiVibes through his artistic video and photography lens.
- Vince Lim – Renowned scenic and adventure photographer, Vince’s iconic, aerial Waikiki photography can be found in every guest room at Waikiki Beachcomber.
- Zak Noyle – One of the most-widely recognized surf photographers in the world, Zak captures vibrant, awe-inspiring surf and wave photographs; his iconic underwater images fill the walls of every single guest room and other key on-property locales.
Learn more about the Beachcomber Originals at outrigger.com/original as well as keep tabs on upcoming music and events at the property. Fans can follow Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger on Instagram at @beachcomberhi to celebrate the #WaikikiVibes and check out the featured artwork as part of its new “B Original” network. Bookings for Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger can be made today at both Outrigger.com and WaikikiBeachcomber.com.
Click here for a PDF of this release.
# # #