Outrigger Resorts celebrates World Oceans Month with OZONE eco-activities
RELEASE NUMBER 43/17
Images of OZONE in action can be found here
HONOLULU – Outrigger Resorts is kicking off World Oceans Month with enough coral planted, monitored and protected to cover approximately 100 football fields’ worth of coral since the 2015 launch of its global conservation initiative, OZONE (Outrigger’s ZONE).
In response to more than 60 percent of the world’s reefs depleting and under immediate threat from climate change, land-based pollution and unsustainable fishing, Outrigger’s OZONE conservation program encourages guests to become part of the solution. Coral planting in Fiji, snorkeling with a resident marine biologist in Maldives, viewing the ocean through a glass bottom boat in Mauritius, swimming with sea turtles in Hawaii, visiting a marine rehabilitation center in Thailand, and walking through an underwater aquarium tunnel in Guam are a splash of the hands-on educational opportunities offered year-round for Outrigger guests.
This June, throughout World Oceans Month, Outrigger Resorts properties worldwide are offering a diverse range of immersive activities and conservation opportunities for Outrigger guests to get in the OZONE mind-set and make a difference, even while on vacation.
“We define ‘The Outrigger Way’ as caring for the guest, the host and the place – OZONE is Outrigger’s pathway of action to care for the oceans surrounding the iconic destinations at which Outrigger Resorts are located,” said Sean Dee, executive vice president and chief marketing officer for Outrigger Enterprises Group. “With help from our guests, Outrigger has grown and protected 100 football fields’ worth of coral, but this is just the beginning – the level of interest and engagement has inspired us to continue offering OZONE experiences that are eco-friendly, memorable and make a positive impact.”
OZONE Month + World Oceans Month Highlights
Outrigger Resorts’ beachfront properties are offering a range of educational and volunteer activities, family entertainment, exciting adventures and more – all in an effort to preserve the global coral systems and oceans’ biodiversity. Highlights from each destination include:
- Hawaii: Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort will feature live Hawaiian music, educational exhibits, games and more at the Waikiki Aquarium on June 24.
- Thailand: Visitors of the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort are invited to visit and partake in an educational tour at the Phuket Aquarium and the Phuket Marine Biological Center, a rehabilitation center for turtles and other marine life that have been injured by debris, as well as participate in a local beach cleanup. Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort will be planting coconut trees and doing a beach cleanup.
- Fiji: Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort will host an educational workshop for building and then sinking “fish houses” made of transplanted coral, which will become a coral nursery and attract a number of fish and other marine life over time. Castaway Island, Fiji will host a butterfly fish count, coastal tree planting, sunset kayak and night snorkel for guests.
- Guam: Outrigger Guam Beach Resort is adjacent to and supports UnderWater World – Guam’s popular aquarium that teaches about the island’s vibrant sea life with a spectacular walk-through glass tunnel. The property will have a beach cleanup and mini fair with educational outreach, ocean crafts, raffle drawings and face painting.
- Maldives: Those visiting Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort can participate in a coral restoration workshop with the resident marine biologist, have some fun with a special #worldoceansday selfie stand with props and join in family activities available through the resort.
- Mauritius: Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort will offer educational activities and glass bottom boat tours for guests to discover the beauty of various coral gardens in the lagoon in front of the resort.
OZONE Eco-Adventure Package
Guests at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort are invited to explore the ocean and safely scope out the fascinating world of Hawaii’s endangered green sea turtles with the OZONE Eco-Adventure Package. The offer features a buy-one, get-one-free Snorkel Eco-Adventure Sail Tour, two admission tickets to the Waikiki Aquarium and an in-room welcome gift that includes reef-friendly sunscreen, swim goggles, and a dive mesh bag to help with collecting plastics and other debris found in the ocean or on the beach. Starting at $239 per room, per night (taxes and fees not included), reservations can be made online at outrigger.com/ozone.
Conservation in Action
While the OZONE program will be highlighted on World Oceans Day, June 8, with special activations across all properties, Outrigger Resorts participate in year-round global and local efforts with dozens of opportunities for marine education and conservation activities. Outrigger hosts put the company’s conservation mission into action by participating in green initiatives across local communities such as marine environment educational sessions, field trips to beaches, coastal wetlands and mangroves and beach clean ups. As a result of the clean-up efforts, Outrigger’s Waikiki properties collectively recycled more than 354,000 pounds of aluminium, plastic, paper and glass.
Located on iconic beaches in Hawaii, Thailand, Guam, Fiji, Mauritius, and Maldives, Outrigger Resorts is dedicated to marine preservation and works year-round on a range of initiatives to generate awareness for the cause, as well as create opportunities for guests to help with the crucial marine ecosystems conservation. Please visit www.outrigger.com/events to learn more about each Outrigger Resort’s activations, as well as www.outrigger.com/ozone for more information.
Outrigger Resorts would also like to thank all its global partners for making World Oceans Month 2017 a success:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Polynesian Voyaging Society
- Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System
- Waikiki Aquarium (Hawaii)
- Underwater World (Guam)
- Mamanuca Environment Society (Fiji)
- Reef Conservation Mauritius
- Best Dives Maldives
- Pure Blue Foundation in Thailand
Click here for a PDF of this release.